Epidermal growth factor
There are 4 siblings in the HER family – HER 1, HER 2, HER 3 & HER 4.
If HER 2 is prominent on a cell that is cancerous, it is referred to as HER 2 Positive. HER 2 Positive tumors are more aggressive.
- Growth factors called ligands search for these cell receptors.
- Receptors are protein structures on the cell surface.
- Cells expresses these receptors on their surface.
- The incoming growth factors signals bind to the receptors.
- Receptors must pair to enable the growth factors to move along the pathway into the cell – this pairing is called dimerization.
- The dimerization of HER2 & HER 3 is associated to stronger signals and is often referred to as HER 2 positive.
- See video below
HER 2 Simplified Commonly referred to as the HER2 Pathway.There are 4 siblings in the HER family – HER 1, HER 2, HER 3 & HER 4